You’ve done some extensive research, spent hours scouring through countless reviews, talked to your construction buddies, and have gotten many recommendations along with the advice you never asked for. And after all that trouble, you finally got a saw that you like.
Now, you must go all through those steps again to find the perfect blade. After all, a saw is only as good as its blade. But before you start yelling in frustration, we’re here to tell you that we’ve got your back.
We have tried, tested, and listed 6 of the best Sawzall blades for the wood so that you don’t have to. And the best, in our opinion, is the Milwaukee 49-22-1129. Start reading; you can thank us later!
6 Best Sawzall Blades for Wood – 2021 Reviews
Reciprocating blades, especially Sawzall, are tough birds, and they make your life so much easier. But when it comes to choosing them, that’s where it gets a little tricky. Although, once you see our list, you’ll fall in love right away.
1. Milwaukee Electric Tool (49-22-1129) Sawzall Reciprocating Saw Blade – Our Pick
Whether you’re gearing for big or small remodeling projects, having this set of Milwaukee reciprocating saw blades would ensure you’re ready to tackle any task thrown in your way.
There are 12 blades included in the packaging, which are an assortment of wrecker blades, Torch, and Axe blades of different sizes. The latter two come in two different lengths of 6” and 9-inches, while the Axe blade is available in 6-inches only.
These blades are excellent at what they do. You can use the Axe to rip through almost every kind of wood. They are super sharp and can even cut through nails without showings any signs of wear and tear.
The Torch and Wrecker blades, on the other hand, are thick and sturdy and can handle most general demolition applications.
Milwaukee even includes a small but functional pouch to store these blades. The plastic case has separate compartments, each having a small sliding lock to keep the blades shut-in and organized.
- Wide shaped to access tight corners and small spaces.
- Blades are thick (.042-.062 inches) to handle heavy-duty operations.
- An extra inch of height for added strength.
- Contains blades of different sizes and TPIs for varied applications.
- You’ll have complete control while cutting with these blades.
- Fanged tips of the blade reduce cutting time.
- Can be used on most woods and nails.
- Plastic pouch included for storage and organization.
- Cannot be used on stainless steel.
2. Caliastro 9-inch Pruning Saw Blades 5-Pack – Best Choice
It’s nice and serene to have a huge property to wander around and spend your evenings in. But that also means you must spend a lot of time maintaining unruly and overgrown hedges that seem to ruin your backyard and have a knack for intruding on your neighbor’s place as well.
Caliastro released this blade set specifically for cutting down overgrown bushes and edges besides hacking off old tree limbs. You can also use these blades to prepare the ground for planting big trees and shrubs.
Five blades are having the same TPI, and they are all the same 9-inch length as well. Made with stainless steel, these are remarkably strong and durable and can undergo extreme abuse without bending or breaking. And since you’ll get five units in just one purchase, it will be many years before you buy another set.
- Made with durable high carbon steel for high-performance.
- Every blade has a 5 TPI and is 9-inches in length.
- Compatible with all major and best reciprocating saw brands.
- Includes durable clear plastic storage case for easier arrangement.
- Blades have a long life and do not blunt easily.
- The 5-blade pack will ensure you get many years of service before needing to repurchase.
- Can handle all forms of mistreatment and abuse without exhibiting any noticeable signs.
- Good for pruning woods only.
3. Caliastro 6-inch Cutting and Pruning Saw Blades 8 Pack – Budget Pick
Since we’re in love with most of Caliastro’s saw blades, we couldn’t help but squeeze in another one on our list. After all, nobody can deny that Caliastro is one of the top contenders for producing the best reciprocating saw blades for pruning and cutting.
A glance at a saw blade’s teeth can tell you a lot about its performance. This pack of blades has 6 teeth per inch, which are larger than standard saw blade teeth and are slightly beveled.
This helps in increasing your work efficiency by helping you cut down faster and trying to keep the dulling rate to as minimum as possible.
The blades are only 6-inches and can fit in crowded spaces and tight corners, which is perfect for maneuvering through a tangle of old branches. Not to mention, they are flexible enough to cut at awkward angles.
- Packaging includes a durable case for storage and transportation.
- Blades are 6-inches and 6 TPI.
- Professional grade and is fast cutting.
- Made with robust carbon steel.
- Low TPI for shearing wet wood.
- Flexible enough to reach all angles.
- Teeth are designed to be durable and fast-cutting.
- The blade does not jam when cutting.
- Makes rough cuts.
4. Milwaukee The AX Super Sawzall Blade
Wood and nail-embedded wood are tough to work with, and they need a blade just as sturdy and strong. The AX 12-inch blades with their 5 TPI are a beast, getting your work done in a jiffy.
This blade has been designed to be very high-performing. They have a sloped shape, and the back is tapered slightly, which lets you plunge deeper while cutting. And the 1-inch height and added thickness of 0.062 inches ensure your cuts are fast and straight without bending your blade.
You can rely on these blades to never give up on you. The bi-metal used in them prevents from breaking on impact. You can use them in many back-to-back large-scale projects, and they’ll still cut like new.
- ½-inch tang is compatible with all Sawzall brands.
- Long makes it ideal for handling heavy demolition projects.
- Blades are extra durable because of the special heat-treating process.
- Saw blades are .062 inches thick and have 12-inch long.
- Comes in a pack of 5.
- Added height for extra strength.
- Blades are thick and are suitable for extreme applications.
- Can fit into tight spaces.
- Not enough bite on the teeth.
5. Caliastro 12-Inch Wood Pruning Saw Blades
Caliastro may be a small company, but they keep impressing us with their product collection. So, we had to include yet another one in our list.
The low-price of this set is what draws your attention in at first, but these blades are just as good as most expensive-name brand tools. You’ll get five units in one pack, all of them being 12-inches long and having the same five TPI.
These Sawzall blades for treescan be fitted with most reciprocating saw brands, if not all. Caliastro has chosen to go with a 1.4 mm thickness, which would minimize the vibration produced and help you get cleaner and more precise cuts.
This is where most other blades fail because they are a little thinner and let in more vibration to slow down while you work. Besides, beefier blades also have a longer product lifetime.
- Specific 1.4 mm thickness to minimize vibration.
- High-quality carbon steel allows for fast cutting and pruning.
- Includes a rugged storage case.
- Thicker blade to ensure longevity and prevent shattering.
- Longer blades help to easily clean tall trees.
- Light and easy to carry around.
- Compatible with both light and heavy-duty saws.
- Contains less offset, needs to put extra pressure.
6. Caliastro 8 Pack Reciprocating Sawzall Blades
We know we have included a lot of Caliastro saw blades in our list, but they are truly worth all the attention. And for the last product on our list, we couldn’t help but include their 8-pack set, which is one of the best Sawzall blades for wood.
There are three 6-inch blades, three 9-inch blades, and two 12-inch blades so that you are all prepped up and ready to tackle a new project at any moment. You can swap them when you need to tackle different branch sizes.
These American-made blades are on par with most expensive brands. They can shear and rip through softwood and greenwood while being to access the bases of clustered branches.
- Comes in an assortment of three different lengths.
- Teeth are made with carbon steel alloy.
- Compatible with all models and brands of reciprocating saws.
- The plastic case provides secured storage.
- Can cut through both wet and greenwood.
- Swap blades according to the type of cut you must make.
- The complete set is very affordable.
- Provide full control while cutting.
- Contains a small kerf which sometimes doesn’t let the teeth set properly.
Before You Buy Sawzall Blades What to Look for
Reciprocating blades are sturdy and are extremely efficient, but they need to include some specific features when cutting wood.
Sometimes, woods may contain nails, so they need to have increased durability to handle a few snags here and there as well.
The material is a very important factor and plays a substantial role in the quality and efficiency of your work. While there are many different types of material available, you will come across steel alloys and carbide the most.
Stainless steel and carbon blades are the most common and are very inexpensive as well. They are soft and can flex without shattering. Also, they can cut through most woods and plastics in clean and precise strokes.
With the incorporation of tempered steel in your blades, they have the possibility of lasting up to five times longer.
The only drawback with them is that they can dull fast sometimes. But when compared to how efficient they are, that con barely matters.
Stronger and sturdier than carbon steel, bi-metal blade results in a fast and precise cutting experience. They are also highly resilient to heat and are remarkably hard to undergo mistreatment and abuse.
Bi-metals are used by most professionals despite being more expensive. While they already last super long, bi-metals having cobalt-steel alloy teeth have an even longer lifetime. That’s why they are often preferred for demotion works, as well as cutting both metal and wood.
Depending on the type of cuts you must make, along with your accessibility range, the length of the blade should also change. You’ll find size ranges from 3-inch to 12-inch, but you don’t need to stock up on them all.
All you must remember while you work is that the aggressiveness and rigidness of the blade are inversely proportional to the length. And that shorter blades are ideal for thin metals, while longer blades are better suited for woodwork and pruning due to their higher flexing abilities.
Wider blades result in more rigorous cuts, having straighter edges. They also help in decreasing the vibrations for a more comfortable and easier user experience.
The sharp indents on the blade will provide the grip you need while you work. Different blades have different teeth per inch (TPI), which can be between 2-24. If your TPI is higher, your cuts will take time, but the finishing would be more even. On the other hand, lower TPI is just more abrasive.
There is nothing subtle and graceful about working with reciprocating saws, and it needs a lot of energy and effort from you. But having the best Sawzall blade for wood cutting and pruning would decrease your stress and increase work efficiency by a thousand notches.
We cannot recommend the Milwaukee 49-22-1129 saw blade enough, and we hope you love it just as much as we do.
Look for blades having a higher TPI which would remain unscathed even after accidentally cutting through an embedded nail. The blades should be between 6-12” long and have a good amount of thickness as well.
Yes-most manufacturers include a universal shank in their saw blades so that they can be compatible to fit most major saw brands.
According to the blade quality and material, you can get from 12-150 hours of continuous use.
Use the tip or end portion of a longer blade for flush cutting. You can bend a substantial amount to ride flat along the ground and let the tip do the work.
Use blade lubricants between cuts. They work wonders in preventing the blade from heating up while getting rid of clogs from the teeth.
Hello, this is Gary Jae, a machinery expert. Writing is one of my hobbies, so I wanted to share my know-how about tools, technologies, machinery, and automotive equipment. I hope you’ll enjoy my provided real-life experience and analytic information.